Design/Office Engineer - Transportation Engineer 3
WSDOT is seeking a motivated engineer with strong technical and engineering skills to fill the position of Design/Office Engineer for our Port Orchard Project Office. You will be responsible for all facets of administration support for all assigned construction projects. This position will independently supervise, mentor, and train staff responsible for performing contract payment, materials documentation, change orders, designing projects and project controls. Communication is paramount, as this position will regularly communicate with key members within WSDOT as well as local agencies, contractors and others.
At WSDOT, we honor diversity in the workplace and support one another with respect and trust. If you would like to join our team-oriented environment and enjoy continuously changing environment, along with a great deal of career stability and growth, definitely consider a career opportunity with WSDOT. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Provide administration support for office construction and design activities.
- Manage design teams in the preparation of project Plans, Specifications, and Estimates.
- Serve as a lead and supervise support staff, organize and manage workloads.
- Prepare and review change orders.
- Perform field inspections and construction staking for transportation related projects.
- Manage office logistics including maintaining fleet, ordering supplies and upgrading equipment.
- Investigate construction problems, evaluate solutions and provide recommendations.
- Represent the department to local agencies and citizens of the state when discussing department operations, proposals and techniques for the resolution of complex transportation problems.
- Facilitate plan, schedule, and track the activities of staff.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- One year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 2 or equivalent.
- Knowledge of engineering principles, practices and methods and the ability to apply them to complex engineering problems.
- Understanding of contractor/owner relationships, roles and responsibilities.
- Experience operating computer applications involving databases, word processing and spreadsheets to accomplish engineering and administrative tasks.
- The ability to read, interpret, understand, review and produce contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
- The ability to lift, manipulate, and transport equipment weighing up to 30 pounds while traversing uneven terrain in all weather conditions.
- Valid driver's license.
This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, you are required to become a member of the PTE, Local 17, or arrange to pay that union a representational fee. The union shop requirement shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at 360-705-7053 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-OR-30767.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the listed recruiter.